Thursday, February 21, 2013

Owl Pinching




The "Owl Pinching" project was a success! We made artwork inspired by the book Owl Moon, by Jane Yolen. After reading the story to the class I showed the students how to make pinch pot owls. The objectives of the lesson were to

1) Make an artwork inspired by a source (book)
2) Teach students the method of pinching
3) Enhance the student’s creativity and description abilities in writing

The students did a great job with the pinching technique as well as following instructions. I was impressed that they remembered to “scratch and attach!” (score clay together). I loved how all their owls were unique. The students are really understanding detail and the importance of description. There were big birds, delicate birds, and goofy birds. There were ones with braids, scarfs and even Mohawks!
I had a lot fun with this lesson and I think the students got a lot out of it. It makes me happy when I am able to help them learn and form an art project.


1 comment:

  1. I love the integration with the book! And the owls are so adorable. Thank you for sharing!

    Karissa

    ReplyDelete